Treasures await at the CY Community Yard Sale
Saturday, May 21, from 8am–2pm will be the annual Cooper-Young Community Yard Sale, rain or shine. The annual yard sale is a great time to do some spring cleaning. Haven’t worn that pair of shorts for two years? Don’t know where to put that piece of ”artwork” that your mom gave you? Kids declare that they are too old to play with “little kid” toys? Yard sale it, give it a new life, and give yourself a few more bucks in your pocket!
The Cooper-Young Community Association’s Role
This year’s Cooper-Young Community Yard Sale is taking on more of a grassroots feel. The CYCA will help get the word out about the event by way of The Commercial Appeal, Craigslist, Facebook, and if time and weather permits, signage. The best form of advertisement is always word of mouth though, so remember to tell your friends and colleagues and encourage them to attend.
There is no fee for participating in the yard sale, though if you like the event, we encourage you to purchase a membership to support the CYCA’s work. This year there will not be an official listing of households participating, so there is no deadline by which you must decide to have a yard sale.
The CYCA is again making the online classifieds at cooperyoung.org freely available for your use. Feeling daunted about posting online? Don’t be! It’s quite simple and will help your yard sale stand out when you have something special. A short online tutorial is available at cooperyoung.org to help.
Some Helpful Tips
If you are new to the world of yard sales, here are some helpful hints to keep you sane and safe:
• Yard sale shoppers like to find a price easily. Use stickers or, for a bunch of items like books
• or stuffed animals, place them in a box labeled with a price (i.e. $1 per item).
• Remember to leave room for bargaining when you set your price. Yard sale shoppers like
• to haggle.
• You will be up early the day of the yard sale, so remember to get change before hand so
• you can sleep in a bit longer.
• Be honest. If an item doesn’t work, be truthful and reflect that in the price.
• Instead of having your yard sale alone, invite a friend to share your yard. You increase
• safety and can alternate refilling each other’s coffee. The buddy system is great for
• swimming and works for yard sales too!
• Keep your money on you at all times. A money belt or fanny pack works well.
• Close your front door, shades, and garage door so that the contents of your house are
• not visible to yard sale shoppers.
• Decline the use of your restroom unless you know the individual.
If you have questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call the CYCA offices at
901-272-2922. Best wishes for a prosperous yard sale!