Memphis Gay and Lesbian Community Center surpasses funding goal
By Will Batts
On April 21, Memphis Gay and Lesbian Community Center announced an urgent funding appeal to continue the unique, life-saving services and programs we offer. Our goal was to raise $45,000 by May 31 in order to continue our current operations. We received overwhelming support from previous and new donors, including a very generous matching gift from Dr. Herb Zeman that enabled us to exceed our original goal. As of May 31, we had received donations amounting to $60,277.
The generosity of our donors has been inspiring, and I’d like to thank each and every one of them. They recognize that maintaining this proud and openly LGBT agency in this Southern city is a testament to the courage, sacrifice, determination, and strength of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender citizens of the Mid-South.
MGLCC’s appeal for assistance was heard and answered from around the corner and all over the world. We received donations and words of encouragement from San Francisco, New York, Canada, Europe, and more. “The importance of Memphis Gay and Lesbian Community Center and the work we do in this region is recognized locally, nationally, and internationally” says MGLCC Board Chair Christy Tweddle. “Our focus is now to recruit and retain sustaining donors, whose ten, twenty, or fifty dollars a month are the lifeblood of our organization.”
Our donors have given us the support to continue these services to the community:
• Providing a safe haven for those who think they are alone
• Building community among people whose families have rejected them
• Advocating for positive change
• Speaking out against intolerance
• Assisting other agencies in Memphis to better address the needs of their LGBTQ clients
• Representing the Memphis community in local and national media
• Maintaining the only LGBTQ history archive in the Mid-South
• Working actively to make our community a better place to live
If you are interested in learning more about the MGLCC or want to become a donor, please visit mglcc.org, send an email to email@example.com , or call 901-278-6422.