It’s time for the annual Cooper-Young Community Yard Sale, Saturday, May 12, from 8 a..m. to 2 p.m.
Yard sales are a great way to sort out those items you no longer use and gain some more closet space in your already small closet by decluttering (that is, unless you then go visit all the other CY yard sales and end up with more stuff than you originally had which is usually what happens to me…) Plus, yard sales are a means of recycling since you aren’t throwing unwanted items away — just giving them a new home and perhaps getting some cash in the process!
The Cooper-Young Community Association’s role
This year’s Cooper-Young Community Yard Sale is continuing the grassroots feel. The CYCA will help get the word out about the event by way of the Commercial Appeal, Craigslist, Facebook, and if time and weather permits, signage.
There is no fee for participating in the yard sale, though if you like the event, we encourage you to purchase a membership to support the CYCA’s work. This year there will not be an official listing of households participating, so there is no deadline by which you must decide to have a yard sale.
How do I get the word out about my yard sale?
- CY Online Classifieds: The CYCA is again making the online classifieds at cooperyoung.org freely available for your use and we will be directing potential yard sale buyers to this area of our website. Feeling daunted about posting online? Don’t be! It’s quite simple and will help your yard sale stand out when you have something special. A short online tutorial is available at cooperyoung.org to help.
- Signs: You are welcome to make your own signs to really add pizzazz to your yard sale. Please just remember to take them down afterward.
- Ads: Craigslist ads are always free, so you can post your individual yard sale there as well. (Memphis.craigslist.org)
- The best form of advertisement is always word of mouth, though, so remember to tell your friends and colleagues and encourage them to attend! You can download our yard sale flyer from cooperyoung.org for posting.
If you are new to the world of yard sales, here are some helpful hints to keep you sane and safe:
- This is a RAIN OR SHINE EVENT. If it rains, it is up to your discretion if you still wish to have your yard sale.
- Yard sale shoppers like to find a price easily. Use stickers or, for a bunch of items like books or stuffed animals, place them in a box labeled with a price (I.e. $1 per item).
- Remember to leave room for bargaining when you set your price. Yard sale shoppers like to haggle.
- You will be up early the day of the yard sale, so remember to get change beforehand so you can sleep in a bit longer.
- Be honest. If an item doesn’t work, be truthful and reflect that in the price.
- Instead of having your yard sale alone, invite a friend to share your yard. You increase safety and can alternate refilling each other’s coffee. The buddy system is great for swimming and works for yard sales too!
- Keep your money on you at all times. A money belt or fanny pack works well.
- Close your front door, shades, and garage door so that the contents of your house are not visible to yard sale shoppers.
- Decline the use of your restroom unless you know the individual.
If you have questions, email email@example.com or call the CYCA offices at 272-2922. Best wishes for a prosperous yard sale!