Cooper-Young Community Yard Sale set for April 27
Do you have knick-knacks and what-nots cluttering up your basement, attic and every available inch in the closet? Do you ask yourself “Have I actually used ______ in the past year?” and find out that the answer is “No”? Could you use a few extra bucks? Well then it sounds like you need to take part in this year’s Cooper-Young Community Yard Sale on April 27!
The Annual Cooper-Young Community Yard Sale will take place from 8 a.m. until 2 p.m. You host your own sale in your own yard, but because many people in the neighborhood hold sales at the same time, everyone benefits. Please keep in mind that this is a RAIN OR SHINE event. You may use your discretion in choosing to reschedule your yard sale if the weather is bad, but we will only have the one “official” date of April 27.
How Will People Find Out About the Event?
The Cooper-Young Community Association (CYCA) will help get the word out about the Community Yard Sale by way of The Commercial Appeal, Craigslist and posters around the area. We will also utilize Facebook and create an event that can be shared.
The best form of advertisement is always word of mouth though, so remember to tell your friends and colleagues, share the Facebook event with them and encourage them to attend! You can put out your own yard sale signs, but we ask that you please take them down after that Saturday to avoid litter.
How Much Does It Cost to Participate?
There is no fee for participating in the yard sale, though if you like the event, we strongly encourage you to purchase a membership so that we may continue great events like this.
Will There Be A Yard Sale Listing?
This year there will not be an official listing of households participating, so there is no deadline by which you must decide to have a yard sale. You are welcome to comment on the Facebook event and give the address of your yard sale, along with a brief description of what you will be selling. If you are not on Facebook, you can email us the information to email@example.com.
Some Helpful Tips
If you are new to the world of yard sales, here are some helpful hints to keep you sane and safe:
• Yard sale shoppers like to find a price easily. Use stickers or, for a bunch of items like books or stuffed animals, place them in a box labeled with a price (i.e. $1 per item).
• Remember to leave room for bargaining when you set your price. Yard sale shoppers like to haggle.
• You will be up early the day of the yard sale, so remember to get change beforehand so you can sleep in a bit longer.
• Be honest. If an item doesn’t work, be truthful and reflect that in the price.
• Instead of having your yard sale alone, invite a friend to share your yard. You increase safety and can alternate refilling each other’s coffee. The buddy system is great for swimming and works for yard sales too!
• Keep your money on you at all times. A money belt or fanny pack works well.
• Close your front door, shades, and garage door so that the contents of your house are not visible to yard sale shoppers.
• Decline the use of your restroom unless you know the individual.
– By Kristan Huntley
If you have questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call the CYCA offices at
901-272-2922. Best wishes for a prosperous yard sale!
– Cooper-Young Community Association